Gamers & Developers Unlimited
Sign in to follow this  
gm112

Post A Screenshot!

So the rules of this topic is basically to just keep the topic somewhere around someone else's project or your own. Please share a screenshot or more if possible! Describe what you're doing, and focus on fun. :P

On April Fools day, I decided to start working on some game engine stuff called "Ganjinge".. Right now I'm doing a test build and it's currently stepping through building the third party dependencies first. Nothing interesting to show off, yet.. but here's the build output

post-3-0-30013800-1459639749_thumb.png

Update 4/2/2016 7:00PMI thought I would show off the Windows demo running successfully on Linux(using a different tileset this time). The ugliness in how stretched out everything is comes through the view being upscaled in to an awkward aspect ratio. That's totally my fault. Also, Valgrind doesn't seem to think that there's a memory leak going on.

==17307==

==17307== HEAP SUMMARY:

==17307== in use at exit: 130,914 bytes in 409 blocks

==17307== total heap usage: 17,280 allocs, 16,871 frees, 407,625,648 bytes allocated

==17307==

==17307== LEAK SUMMARY:

==17307== definitely lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

==17307== indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

==17307== possibly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

==17307== still reachable: 130,914 bytes in 409 blocks

==17307== suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

==17307== Rerun with --leak-check=full to see details of leaked memory

==17307==

==17307== For counts of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -v

==17307== ERROR SUMMARY: 0 errors from 0 contexts (suppressed: 0 from 0)

post-3-0-07128900-1459642669_thumb.png

Posting another screenshot for my game engine project. This time just code because I want to keep the work-in-progress a special surprise for a summer release. :o Nah, I wish it were special. Just a tech demo, nothing special.

post-3-0-02287500-1464640530_thumb.png

Pictured here is one part of my event-entity system. There's really nothing too crazy going on here except the function pointer casting that's happening within the std::find() callback. Through this, I'm able to have a nice standardized interface for calling into all sorts of subsystems. At the core level these things could be input events, or entity->entity  events, or in the game world you can look at this as a way to implement "teleport player to <poop>". 

Yeah, in C++11 they do have std::function which is a better alternative syntax-wise to function pointers. But, I'm using function pointers hah. C-style syntax will always be ugly though. After coding in JS, this looks clean from what I'm normally used to >_< 

What on earth did you do with JS for that to be true (not siding with JS though lol)

Write a production project. This is a problem that's slowly getting better (ES6 Syntax sugar for class's is far superior to prototypes syntax wise). Deal with nodejs for a bit. Write JS for a major site. Honestly, JS just looks messy as its code grows. On the desktop everything shares a global namespace, and to some extent nodejs projects do too but they're more isolated. JS has some issues they still need to sort out, hah. :P I love JS, btw. I think it's a language that has potential to really bridge the gap between languages like C and high level languages like C#, since it does produce fast binaries under v8. :P 

i.e.

C++11

auto function = []() { std::cout << "hello!\n"; };
function(); //"hello!"

ES5 - object literals (there's other syntax, but this one's the cleanest of the ES5 versions imo)

var object = {
     someFunction: function() { 
              console.log('hi');
      });
};

ES6 js

class SomeClass {

someFunction() {
             console.log('hi');
       }

Yeah, you're right lol

Using JS to build something big, like the entire server for a service... :x

Never used node, but will probably be soon apparently. Going to be fun I'm sure.

I'm back again. This time, with JavaScript code. This little tid-bit is a in-progress turned-based RPG "game state", one part of a bigger puzzle...

OTW0X1N.png

I have no idea why I took this with my phone, and not screencapped.. But, anyways cleaning up a spritesheet I found on opengameart.. and in the command prompt is babel throwing an error within this prototype gamestate that's being written(its for turned based rpg battles :P).

http://i.imgur.com/a70xU1j.jpg

Well, well, well... I might as well show something. That little JS experiment didn't amount to anything. Decided doing a game with netplay would be stupid, so I canned it. The testbed is still online on my site, however.  https://bluedreamers.com/test/

I apologize for the shitty FPS drops on some machines. The physics engine isn't friendly. May release the sauce code to this after some cleanup effort.

Bonus included is a little bit of the server code. It got a tad messy. Also third bonus, scrapped testmap that I made originally as a surprise to ZFGC but ultimately gave up on it along with the netplay idea as both were kind of interconnected.

screen.JPG

server-code.PNG

MAP.PNG

ya! very :theoneandonlycrim:.

Yeah, I've been taking my sweet old time. Work has been busy lately so I've just been chipping away at everything. Why don't you post a screenshot, Ruke-san?

I've never been very confident in my code because I just started a couple of years ago and since I was young I've always known some pretty astounding programmers. I always feel like "why should I allow my code to be criticized if it will just look really dumb compared to all the amazing stuff everyone else does!" but I hope this can be a place where people help me grow instead!

I'm taking a class on Python this semester and as a group project, my partner and I have been assigned the "N Queen Problem." She hasn't really helped me out at all though so this is all my code. I wanted to take it a little further than just creating a chess board that assigns the queen pieces itself and outputs a random solution every time, so I'm trying to make it so that the program allows the user to choose where to place the first queen by clicking on a square on the board instead. Please keep in mind that this is just a portion of it, I just started out in Python this past month, and this is far from finished! D':

screenie1.JPG

The point of this thread isn't to criticize anybody but to encourage them to be more vocal and open about what it is they're up to.. anybody who comes in here and start critiquing peoples stuff will just look like buttheads! :) 

Talking about what you're working on can be a good exercise. If you feel nervous, then more reason to participate.. 

And that's a nice little progression to the initial specifications. Python 3? And are you using any source control since this is a group project?

3 hours ago, gm112 said:

The point of this thread isn't to criticize anybody but to encourage them to be more vocal and open about what it is they're up to.. anybody who comes in here and start critiquing peoples stuff will just look like buttheads! :) 

Talking about what you're working on can be a good exercise. If you feel nervous, then more reason to participate.. 

And that's a nice little progression to the initial specifications. Python 3? And are you using any source control since this is a group project?

Lol, well I mean if I'm doing something terribly wrong I wouldn't mind a little critique! But yes, no buttheads allowed!! >: O

Yeah, Python 3. I thought about using version control software (I would have used git and github to feed my partner updates) but since I'm the only one doing any work... > >' She seemed satisfied with me just giving her literal copies of my code. I'm 76% sure she doesn't know how to version control yet. Also when thinking about it as just a general thing to do for myself I just went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (but your question is making me feel really guilty I should do that anyway as good practice D :)

Eh, it's really up to you if you want to for your own benefit. I would advise for it but the effort isn't always worth it when you're dealing with the likes of university imo.. Do you feel comfortable with Git? No? Maybe you should make use of it more. Yes? Then you're as cool as a $20 icee from the movies.

Also a part of life as a developer inevitably involves dealing with people who don't follow practices or really have a good understanding of what they're doing. So, consider this the easy way to getting a taste of that. :P

Holy shit, $20 for a movie icee must be a damn good icee!! That's so expensive!

Oh, and she finally contributed. I broke the reset button and she fixed it. : |

Updated stuff!! It's a lot more precise now as far as how it's set up and everything's finally done except for the recursive function that places the queens according to where the attack path buttons are. For some reason it's not accurately reading the previous attack paths though I have somewhat of an idea where that problem is stemming from. Otherwise, some of the code is repetitive and generally not pretty, but this is due on Friday and it's hard to give it so much attention with so much other stuff going on in my life right now. > <'

I'm almost done!!! >: Oc

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

14 hours ago, Melphina Micaela said:

I made it work!!!!!!!!! :'D

I'm trying to implement a form of backtracking now to fix some issues with the program not being able to place all 8 queens, but essentially the program works!!!!! I'm super happy!!!!

As a learning exercise, I would try to break up that Application object into several classes. i.e. "Chessboard", "chess piece", etc.. It would help you organize responsibility in other places. That being said, I took a glance over your code and couldn't help but notice the queens() function didn't seem to writeback to the original path var(seems you're only writing to a local instance).. Was this the problem you fixed?

Anyways -- look forward to seeing what it looks like!