Anyone here know a good RPG engine?

Rutao

So, Halloween night, two friends and I were out getting free candy, and we saw a bridge that went across a little ditch into someone's yard. Since this someone also had candy for the taking, we had to cross said bridge. Now, it wasn't at all big, but that didn't stop me from quoting Gilgamesh.

At that, we all had Final Fantasy on the brain, not to mention we'd been playing XII before we went out trick-or-treating. After poking fun at XII, we decided that I should make an animation of us three using Quickenings (super-attacks, for those that don't know), and we came up with really silly ideas.

A couple days later, when we were discussing how I should animate them, one of my friends ups and says we should make a game. Now, I have GM Pro, but I have no experience with it, and another friend says it's extremely RPG unfriendly, not to mention nearly impossible to make a TBS, like Fire Emblem.

So, being said, we were wondering if anyone knows of a flexible program that can make RPGs. Money is probably not going to be an issue, and we will collectively shoot anyone that says RPG maker.

Also, if anyone know of a good music creation program, that'd be fantastic.

Ultimately it depends on what you mean by 'good' engine. Personally I'd want something open source and in C++ or C# which provides the mechanisms but ultimately gives me full control. I get the feeling you're looking more for a tool like GameMaker or RPG Maker.

Personally I think such tools should only be used to develop at most a prototype, and to prove a concept, and more 'serious' methods should be used to create a complete game, but that's neither here nor there.

Still, Microsoft XNA (C#) comes with an RPG example you may want to have a look at.

A quick google of "RPG Engine Sourceforge" led me to find http://www.spheredev.org/ which may be more what you're looking for.