[PRE] Yet to be named Windows Shell replacement.

So, I'm currently designing a replacement shell for Windows. I wanted something more minimalist and something a bit cleaner (Something without the system resource hog that is the 'Aero' interface.)

This is what I currently have:

(Warning, pretty large image. 1920x1080px to be exact.)

Ringos3.jpg

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

I have no idea how I'm going to finish this seeing as I can't code in any of the C languages.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm currently designing a replacement shell for Windows. I wanted something more minimalist and something a bit cleaner (Something without the system resource hog that is the 'Aero' interface.)

This is what I currently have:

(Warning, pretty large image. 1920x1080px to be exact.)

Ringos3.jpg

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

I have no idea how I'm going to finish this seeing as I can't code in any of the C languages.

> So, I'm currently designing a replacement shell for Windows. I wanted something more minimalist and something a bit cleaner (Something without the system resource hog that is the 'Aero' interface.)

Honestly, Aero isn't too bad on resources. It offloads drawing the UI onto the GPU while freeing up resources on the CPU to process other tasks. I don't know if I would necessarily call that "resource hogging". Though one complaint I do have about Aero as a compositor is that, it prevents applications from accessing VBlank which fucks up vsync in windowed modes.

As for what you could write it in, probably anything so as long as you can provide sufficient replacements for what's there. C# + Windows Presentation Foundation could be a good start. Or, if you're so concerned with resource usage, then revert to the Windows Classic theme and call it a day there.

EDIT: Btw... your design looks like it merges GNOME Shell with Gnome Panels from the 2.x branch.

And @rev: Linux doesn't have a "look" other than a framebuffer terminal. You're referring to the desktop environments which are known as KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc, etc... there's a fuckton of them out there.

Edited by gm112