Let's Play!: Phantasy Star Online

Oi oi.

At some point in time today I am going to start playing Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. Now I have never played the game before, so I will be starting from level 1, with absolutely no in game experience. This is the PERFECT time for you to join me in game, we could all be "noobs" together.

It would be great if we could all dive into something as a community as it has been quite some time. It may even help to restore some activity, as well as bring some old familiar faces back to the surface.

As I've said, I have very little experience with the game myself but here is what I CAN tell you;

It doesn't cost anything to play.

It's pretty damn fun.

It's very similar to .hack in the way that it's executed.

So if you're interested, check it out!

Here's a direct link to everything you need.

----> http://schtserv.com/connect-psobb.php <----

From this point on the thread will be for anything PSO related. Screenshots, screen names, arranging hunting parties, whatever you'd like!

Hope to see you all in game!

hmm, i like free. ill check it out. if it turns out better than city of heroes i might swap.. or play both.

shoot i just saw something on that site say gamecube and dreamcast. if its for dreamcast im soo plugging my dreamcast online and using that lols.

Edited by Crim

Rhaps, what's your class? I used to play the shit out of PSO back in the day. And I won't really be able to play with you guys since it takes some dedication to keep the pace levelwise and I'm pretty busy this time of year :P

But I do fully support this. Like GM said in the comments section I wanted to have a PSO private server for GDU at one point (We were gonna take an open source Windows server and recode it for Linux) but it would've been a lot of work and drained the site's resources

I played a little bit last night by myself, and even though I was solo, it was still a lot of fun.

I especially liked that the combos were timing based, it was pretty refreshing.

I chose to play as a HUcast, as they kind of resemble the mechs from Evangelion. I only made it to level 5, and I'm looking forward to hopping online to get a few more levels a little later this evening.

hmm, i like free. ill check it out. if it turns out better than city of heroes i might swap.. or play both.

shoot i just saw something on that site say gamecube and dreamcast. if its for dreamcast im soo plugging my dreamcast online and using that lols.

Was originally a DreamCast game lol. One of its most famous ones :D

I got it for the gamecube and at the time the internet situation was crap and only managed to play it offline (often with friends :D), but I did enjoy it quite a lot.

I'd love to see people playing through the quests together, as one HUcast doing it alone would be no where near as much fun lol.

Don't think our time zones/free time would match up at all though :(

Was originally a DreamCast game lol. One of its most famous ones :biggrin:
I got it for the gamecube and at the time the internet situation was crap and only managed to play it offline (often with friends :biggrin:), but I did enjoy it quite a lot.

I'd love to see people playing through the quests together, as one HUcast doing it alone would be no where near as much fun lol.
Don't think our time zones/free time would match up at all though :sad: 

I remember when you and I went on Skype and played Phantasy Star Zero on Nintendo-Wifi together. ;p

But yeah, I had a half-complete port of some open source PSO:BB server on Linux... I was going to develop the means to integrating it all with GD-U, but it just wasn't ever done. There were other things at the time that were deemed more important.. plus, we were trial-running additional features at the time(GDU TV being one of em).

Heh, I've been enjoying the game quite a bit, despite only playing solo so far. Last night I was playing until about 5am EST.

I've only hit level 8, and from what I understand it goes up to level 200 so I have a LONG way to go. I might post a few screenshots a little later today once I hop on to play. If any of you start playing just let me know and we'll get together.

well, i think ill prolly join in, but its going to be a week or two before i do. got mid-term exams this week and next.

oh, and i never had a dreamcast til last month, so i didn't know lol. but ive been downloading and burning dreamcast games like crazy.

and if i managed to connect to play using the dreamcast, would i be playing with people who are using the pc?

Edited by Crim

Heh, I've been enjoying the game quite a bit, despite only playing solo so far. Last night I was playing until about 5am EST.

I've only hit level 8, and from what I understand it goes up to level 200 so I have a LONG way to go. I might post a few screenshots a little later today once I hop on to play. If any of you start playing just let me know and we'll get together.

Yeah. I also only got to around level 40 something with one of my characters. One of the things I loved about it was how high the levels would go and just imagining how on earth everything must be like even just half the way to the top at around level 100. I'd barely even seen any high level weapons or anything (judging by the number of stars? in their description) or any rare (red) items.

Spending literally hours trying to battle a boss with another friend was epic too lol.

I've probably taken a lot from pso in game ideas haha.

well, i think ill prolly join in, but its going to be a week or two before i do. got mid-term exams this week and next.

oh, and i never had a dreamcast til last month, so i didn't know lol. but ive been downloading and burning dreamcast games like crazy.

and if i managed to connect to play using the dreamcast, would i be playing with people who are using the pc?

I'm pretty damn sure you wont be able to play using a dreamcast, as rhaps was on about the blue burst version, which came out much later on PC. (Just the same with more I think), plus that's bound to be using a special client edited to connect to a special server too.

If you want that dc feeling though you may be able to play by connecting a dc controller to the pc (Plus then you'll have a keyboard that'll help a lot, unless you had a dreamcast one lol, but then again using a mic may be even better :D)

Also, off topic, but do you know of skies of arcadia? I playded the gc one (skies of arcadia legends) and it was a really good rpg!

Yeah. I also only got to around level 40 something with one of my characters. One of the things I loved about it was how high the levels would go and just imagining how on earth everything must be like even just half the way to the top at around level 100. I'd barely even seen any high level weapons or anything (judging by the number of stars? in their description) or any rare (red) items.

Spending literally hours trying to battle a boss with another friend was epic too lol.

I've probably taken a lot from pso in game ideas haha.

I'm pretty damn sure you wont be able to play using a dreamcast, as rhaps was on about the blue burst version, which came out much later on PC. (Just the same with more I think), plus that's bound to be using a special client edited to connect to a special server too.

If you want that dc feeling though you may be able to play by connecting a dc controller to the pc (Plus then you'll have a keyboard that'll help a lot, unless you had a dreamcast one lol, but then again using a mic may be even better :D)

Also, off topic, but do you know of skies of arcadia? I playded the gc one (skies of arcadia legends) and it was a really good rpg!

Depends on which one you're playing and what kinda server you're running, actually.

ah i see. i was just thinking it would be super pro if i could get my dreamcast connected online and play cross platform. and its possible to still play dreamcast online, they actually have instructions on how to connect to their server on that site. (its what gave me the idea in the first place)

and yes, i have skies of arcadia.. its great, but im liking grandia 2 soo much more.

Edited by Crim