Project Shining Star

Introducing Project Shining Star, or rather, as it's tentatively titled currently! I am happy to announce that soon I will be moving into beta testing phase as a good bunch of the engine is completed / and-or planned, awaiting implementation and a good amount of game-design is already done!

Whut

What is Shining Star? It is a 2D Action/Adventure-styled RPG developed by (currently) a one man army, Jonathan Basniak(me!). Much of the game's events are based around the super metropolis known as Grove City -- split up into multiple sections each having a different theme and social class system associated with each. The target platforms are Windows and Xbox 360 on the Community Channel, which probably won't get me much attention but that doesn't matter. My motivation for doing this project is to simply make my dreams come true -- to make a successful game on my freetime and for others to enjoy in hopes that they will enjoy playing the game as much as I enjoyed developing it.

Battle System Design

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B51jvXZkdhnaYmI2ZmRmMTMtM2VjNS00MTBjLWI4ODYtOTE4YTJlMjA1Mzlm&hl=en_US

^^ View here, for one of the major parts behind the battle system.

I am greatly excited to finally begin posting progress reports as I go along developing this project. When the first playable map with a working NPC is there(mind you, I'm aware I have a working NPC that isn't interactive, but that's different than loading it all in from a map file lol), I intend on opening up the source code and design docs to everyone and doing an open development style allowing people to see how this game gets developed overtime. I'll be more than happy to work with anyone who is willing to contribute to the project!

UPDATE #1:

I'm announcing the opening of this project! (opening as in, this project going full-blown open development)

October 25th, the first round of documents will be released regardless of status. This will consist of gameplay, story, etc. [design] documents. Soon after on November 7th, the issue tracker, git repository(source code), and remaining closed portions will be opened up. Development discussion will most likely take place in different threads on this site. Anyone who wishes to participate does not need to know how to code! If you're capable of simply having an opinion, then that is good enough for me. :) Well, I mean, opinion as in... well, what if you were to comment concerns regarding the story or perhaps script? You know, even though stuff like that may seem trivial, it's still very important.

As for team members, I'm the only team member as officially stated currently. Though, unofficially, Cerilious will be assisting with producing the first batch of art if possible. He'll most likely be the official "art director", but it really depends on what happens. ;p (Sorry if this offends you, Ceri D: ...just being open here >_<)

Exciting, isn't it..?

Edited by gm112

I'd love to help contribute to this, but I lack a knowledge of XNA 4 / C#. But I'm all for testing it n stuff.

Don't worry man. You don't need to have programming knowledge to contribute! Just simple thoughts is good enough!

sounds bright. let me know when to help.

Haha, next time I post up information which should be soon. :)

I am working on the project! I've just been busy running around campus, working, etc... sorry for the lateness >_<

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda understand. For some reason I imagine with with hexagonal movement, but it will clearly not be tiled movement.

I also think of a mix between Bastion and Okami.

Will grove city be green? It might should be, at least in the middle.

Warping? 8 directional movement? sandbox action?

Moral/Social Alignment? Will different sections/areas condone different morals like Fallout new Vegas?

If everything is static, will the battle area appear with some sort of low opacity darkness making a ring around the character?

@Ceri: I've commented on some of your questions via MSN... we'll talk more later, however.

I'm announcing the opening of this project! (opening as in, this project going full-blown open development)

October 25th, the first round of documents will be released regardless of status. This will consist of gameplay, story, etc. [design] documents. Soon after on November 7th, the issue tracker, git repository(source code), and remaining closed portions will be opened up. Development discussion will most likely take place in different threads on this site. Anyone who wishes to participate does not need to know how to code! If you're capable of simply having an opinion, then that is good enough for me. :) Well, I mean, opinion as in... well, what if you were to comment concerns regarding the story or perhaps script? You know, even though stuff like that may seem trivial, it's still very important.

As for team members, I'm the only team member as officially stated currently. Though, unofficially, Cerilious will be assisting with producing the first batch of art if possible. He'll most likely be the official "art director", but it really depends on what happens. ;p (Sorry if this offends you, Ceri D: ...just being open here >_<)

i hope i am the coolest npc in the game.. or have at least some sort of cameo lol.

thats what i will add.

I don't have any objections. Cameo's are quite prominent within games. Take for example, Burning Rangers, Yuji Naka and various other developers can be rescued ingame... though, I'd much prefer if everyone stays on topic too! ^^ :P

that was seriousness. :P

also, where be the screenshots? or is that the reason for open development.

None yet, sir! Will add more details tomorrow, though..

EDIT: Now for the "more details"... Well, up to this point the game is mostly conceptual. I have a concrete idea on how the main protagonist will be and some ideas on the gameplay, but it hasn't been developed enough to where I could have "screenshots". Aside from notebook artwork, I have no art! The code is being shaped up still, too... this project is rather early in development. August was spent coming up with the initial ideas, September had some engine work done with the focus shifting more towards design again as October rolled in.

Since Ceri is willing to help out with the initial art, I'm now organizing the design documents getting things ready for him so I can run things through him and produce the first batch of concept art. Alongside that, how the project's governance system will work when I go "open development" has been something I've been working on as of this week as well.

I set a deadline for the initial stuff to be done just to give motivation, and to assure people that I'm serious about what I'm doing here.

Edited by gm112
  • 3 months later...