Sign in to follow this  
Shirosuke

Hosting games on the site?

Why? There are plenty of free or relatively inexpensive file hosting solutions elsewhere, and (some) games can get quite large and cumbersome.

Perhaps a public project gallery system that linked to externally-hosted game downloads would be fitting, but there's too much that can go wrong with hosting a game's executable files here.

Yeah, I understand. I'm not very site-savvy, but I've done some work in the past, and I know that hosting a standalone can be troublesome, but what about having a page where you could embed it via html? Like lets say a game on YoYo games to be embedded on a "Games" page? Pretty much any page where you can embed or post links that's not in forum format to showcase the collective projects of the community?

so yeah, like that last thing you said x.x

I could probably create something similar to that. The files themselves would have to be hosted off site though. We're not using a ton of space/bandwith but I'd rather stay conservative with the resources if possible because gm was able to kill the site a few times with surges of activity downloading Android firmware :P

Why? There are plenty of free or relatively inexpensive file hosting solutions elsewhere, and (some) games can get quite large and cumbersome.

Perhaps a public project gallery system that linked to externally-hosted game downloads would be fitting, but there's too much that can go wrong with hosting a game's executable files here.

I think the idea of hosting a database of projects here was an idea talked about in the past, and was going to be part of the site.. My memory may serve incorrectly, though. If there were to be hosting on the site, I would suggest that Walnut would naturally have a review process to make sure that nothing illegal goes up there. Perfectly valid concern, in regards to with what can go wrong.

A gallery of embedded, user submitted games on the site that is more of a browsing format than a forum format

Great idea. This has been talked about before. Though, it never happened since there were always more gamers than developers on here, and lack of interest if I remember correctly.

I could probably create something similar to that. The files themselves would have to be hosted off site though. We're not using a ton of space/bandwith but I'd rather stay conservative with the resources if possible because gm was able to kill the site a few times with surges of activity downloading Android firmware :P

Indeed, it is easy to kill bandwidth when you have an influx of people downloading something. May I suggest that external hosting could be some provider who provides an API to their services so you could work in a plugin, if you were going the integration route. Or if you weren't, then maybe a decent one such as Mediafire won't be bad either. Be mindful of how the database of projects are presented, too, since it can become a clutter-fuck quite fast.

I was thinking about doing it kind of that site that doesn't exist style (GM you should know what site I'm talking about and if not oh well its not that important :P) and just let users upload their games to whatever hosting service they want and then link it to a database on GDU that shows all the relevant information. It shouldn't be too hard to put up with IP.Content having a lot of that functionality built in

Only problem I'm gonna run into is lack of time to work on it for now, my course load for the summer is pretty rough. Come July though hopefully I can make some good progress on Pwn Squad and put up new site features I wanted to implement :D

And honestly GM I don't remember if that was going to be a feature or not either. Its a good idea either way though, for sure

I was thinking about doing it kind of that site that doesn't exist style (GM you should know what site I'm talking about and if not oh well its not that important :P) and just let users upload their games to whatever hosting service they want and then link it to a database on GDU that shows all the relevant information. It shouldn't be too hard to put up with IP.Content having a lot of that functionality built in

Regarding that "thing", that's a prime example of a good idea with a horrible implementation... or rather, what _not_ to do, amirite? Yeah, forgot that Invision Power has some pretty functional software in their arsenal.

And honestly GM I don't remember if that was going to be a feature or not either. Its a good idea either way though, for sure

I can't remember 100% sure either, but I do know it was talked about. At least, I think when nuZF-ImeanGDU was our focus it was something talked about. I don't mean to be a troll, but

Also, given that you're using Linode as your backbone, I can't imagine it being too hard to have your game talk with the site either. Given IP has an API server, that could serve as a method in integrating the two together. I believe I had a test written... though, I can't find it at the time of this writing, so it all depends on whether or not I find the source later. It's not too hard. Really, you could just write a simple PHP script that listens for a socket connection. http://php.net/manual/en/book.sockets.php This could help you. You really don't need to write in PHP either, too.. if you've studied your *nix, a bash script could even do the trick even though that would be out of the norm... haha. By the way, you might want to look into mod_mono if you're interested in writing a C#-based server. Mono's fully compliant with .NET 4.0, so don't worry about compliance issues. The code should work just fine given you don't call a UI and only rely on the standard I/O pipeline(the console input output). You'll have to resort to a FastCGI solution if you're using anything other than apache which is fine. Just, be careful with how you set the user that is set to handle processing anything related to Mono.