Settings.dat

misael

:D

This is one weird bug, but me and gm112 (or mainly gm112) has come up with some ideas as to why this occurs.

Can you tell us your windows' log in username? (for example mine would be "luke". This is because we believe it may have something to do with downloading that file to the temp folder on your computer, but the game failing to do so, maybe because of a space in the username which is confusing the game... possibly...)

Also, can you run the game and when you get that error, check the folder you installed the game to (and maybe a few folders in if you can't find it) for that settings.dat file and tell us if you can find it in there?

Thanks.

i had this issue too. what i used to get around it was when you open it and it asks about your computer login, theres a checkbox thats "supposed" to be for virus protection, but it also says if used it may make the program function improperly. i UNCHECKED that and the game ran just fine... (until i actually got to town lol, then i couldnt gate, or even go to the next map)

i had this issue too. what i used to get around it was when you open it and it asks about your computer login, theres a checkbox thats "supposed" to be for virus protection, but it also says if used it may make the program function improperly. i UNCHECKED that and the game ran just fine... (until i actually got to town lol, then i couldnt gate, or even go to the next map)

Thanks, it worked :)

• 1 year later...

just delete settings.dat

Tried it, and tried the whole data folder. Uninstall/reinstall, in all three locations: Desktop, Documents, default install location. I made sure my user name doesn't have a space (Which it never does) in windows, I've hit a road block! D=

Odd, I get the same error on windows 7 and there is no checkbox of win.

The system cache fucks with things because the engine extracts its assets into the temp directory. Sometimes it turns into Donkey Kong when it see's that there are sometimes "some" files there(due to random odd-termination), or just the files being there in general. Doing a clean install can help, but I found that clearing the cache usually solved things.. and a reboot, too, so you clear out the loaded libraries that are in memory(the engine uses quite a bit).

When debugging this problem a long time ago, I remember taking samples of the *.dat files from other people and reading them, they were all integral. The problem lies in the system cache and loaded objects in memory. That's why the bug is so unpredictable. As to why the game freaks out, it's something to do with Game_Maker's I/O ops and external library procedures and some asinine stuff that was hacked together to do things GameMaker wasn't quite designed for. Like external map formats.

That being said, I do hope that my suggestion points you in the proper direction. If things screw up, then I'm sorry. =\ It's more of a limitation of the platform than anything.

Edited by gm112