Free MMORPG Maker here!

Just kidding. This topic will get you on the road to making a game the real way! Let me destroy all of your dreams and hopes by killing the common misconception of an "MMORPG Maker" as there is none and there will never be one!

"Buuuuttt Geee EmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmMMMM!!!! There's a GHAME MAKER AND AN ARREE PEEE GEEE MAKER!

There are immitations of "makers" which are out there, but none of which can really go far. Allow me to credit Game Maker for actually proving itself to be useful. Can't believe I'm saying that, but compared to RPG Maker.. ugh.. You're a disgrace if you heavily rely on these tools. Although, I don't see a problem in using them for prototyping and whatnot, as that's fine, too :D.. or educational reasons. I guess Game Maker could teach you a bit about game-logic. (Game logic-wahh!?)

lol.

"SO HOW DO I MACK GAME?!"

First. Get a brain. Learn how to speeeelll. Crap.. just contradicted myself. But out of all seriousness, you need to have common sense. Nobody will baby you and shit out the magical answer to making a game. Without further ado, I will be serious with this post. I was honestly just poking fun at how some people seem to expect that there are these epic things out there that make your job a million times easier. *sigh*..

Prerequisites

-----------------

+ Basic knowledge of the computer.

This essentially means that you could know what a processor is, or what RAM is. Essentially, I am not going to cover what the components of a computer are because the main point of this post is to hopefully show you how to get started on working on a game!

+ A brain.

+ A second brain.

+ Lack of ability to ask/post "PLLLEASSEE CODE FOR ME"

If you meet these, you are qualified to continue!

Actually, I lied. This will just be a list of tools to help you on the road to game development. I should actually title this "software development" as it kind-of is more general.

Compilers

---------------------

What is a compiler? A compiler takes your source code, and essentially translate it to machine code. A variant of a compiler would be a Virtual Machine(for you asshats who believe VM is inaccurate, you know who you are, it is not and is completely valid I don't want to hear it and I will delete your post on sight simply because you're stupid), or, "Byte Code Intrepreter" choose your terminology by your own taste, interpretes "byte code"(not machine code) on the fly rather than running executables in a pre-compiled environment. Visual C++ is an example of a compiler. It's a development environment for C++ and works quite well for Windows based users.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2008-Visual-CPP <-------------- Visual C++ Express

It's free!

http://gcc.gnu.org/ <---------------- GNU's GCC Compiler. This is an open sauce compiler which is used on non-Windows based systems. It not only compiles C++, but C, Ada, god.. all sorts of languages for many different instruction sets. If you're on Windows, just go with Visual C++

APIs

------------------

Don't know what an API is? Are you still randomly chanting "HOW MACK GAME?! HOW BABBY FORMED?!"? Well, Uncle GM is here to help! API stands for Application Programming Interface. It essentially(in a nutshell, if you will) is a set of functions/classes/objects/etc you use when developing your software. Windows applications make use of the win32 API to draw its windows, open files, etc. There are APIs for practically everything.

win32 <--------------- You need this for when developing in Windows. I can't emphasize this anymore. If you lack this, you will be stuck with a console window most likely.. if that, even.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383749(VS.85).aspx

DirectX <------------------- Graphics/Audio/Input API we use so we can draw our material on the screen in Windows. Without it, we'd all be using OpenGL tongue.png.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/default.aspx

Open GL <------------------- OpenGL is the alternative. It runs on virtually every operating system out there(this is a little far fetched, I know, but it's to get the point across that it's highly portable)

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

http://www.fmod.org/ <--------------- FMOD is a commercial sound library. Portable on the three giant Desktop OS's, and is easy to work with! It's free of use for non-commercial software.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal <--------------- OpenAL is an open source sound library which like FMOD, is highly portable, but is completely free.

MISC

-------------------

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ <--------------- Don't know C++? Read this.

Now you may be wondering.. "what should I use?!".. honestly, I would just start with OpenGL and writing a basic game using that. I didn't mention other programming languages because I don't want no crap from people complaining "BUTTT GEEE EEMM.. (lolmacfanboylanguage)C#WINDOWSONLYLOLIAMSOHUNGRYFORMONOPOLY(/endmacfanboylanguage)" HONK HONK.

There are other programming languages out there if C++ is too hard for you. It's understandable if it is.. though, I won't give any mercy to those who complain! Don't understand something here? Feel free to ask. I like it when people ask legitimate questions. If you feel your question is not legitimate, make sure it isn't something ridiculous like "HOW MACK GAME?!" otherwise I will simply ignore you. For those who may be wondering "lol.. wat. where game tutorial wat is this i dont even".. I lied. There really is no tutorial. This is really just a list of some things that "should" tell you what you really need to make a game. It's up to you to go find a book and read it, or something. I'll be happy to recommend you books if you need help. Hell, GDU Team will give you help if you ask. Just hop on over to GD-U Main forums(which I've highly neglected for the sake of this forum) and post over there for questions! We're all experienced in various things. MG-Zero is a programming tutor for his college and has been on the dean's list more than once in a row! He's currently taking classes regarding Operating Systems and I believe he has an engine in development smile.png. Walnut has previously interned for Oracle(has a father who is quite high up with them, too) and has done insane work on the ExpressCat(insert trademark here even though there is none) Engine.

https://forum.gd-u.com/index.php?topic=44.0

https://forum.gd-u.com/index.php?topic=198.0

https://forum.gd-u.com/index.php?topic=239.0

Yeah, it may seem dead, but we check it once our notifications pop up tongue.png. Or, you can simply ask me a question here or on GD-U Forums. I'll answer you eventually. Don't feel intimidated by my way of going about this post :P. It was mainly intended for comedic purposes to lighten up the mood, seeing as how these "getting started" stuff always ends up boring. BORING. :| hap dap. Oh, and I won't give out contact information. You will have to PM me or post in this topic :P.

- gm112

How Maxk Gaem? Lol

but I think game maker I where you should start... Game maker will get you familar with the gamaking jargon without making you want to throw your computer out of the window. If you like then try a programming language. This is why. Game maker is fantastic but is limited by using a programming language your not. Game maker is a fantastic program, in fact this game is made (or at least was) with gamemaker. However Gamemaker is xtremely limited and you'll never be able to make an mmo with only game maker. This game incorperates c++, GML, and C#... I suggest you learn C# not C++ because it's supposed to be better idk maybe just listen to GM... After all, I am no programmer I just make the pretty things in games.

Really what you use depends heavily on what you want to do. If you're a random hobbyist looking to remake pong, pacman and space invaders in their spare time, then GameMaker is fine.

If you want to be more than some random hobbyist, then Java, C#, XNA, all are good for these.

If you want to seek a career in the industry, either as an 'Indie' or a 'Professional', then seek to learn as many languages as possible, and at the end of the day you want C++. Even if you never have to use C++ in any project because you find yourself working with C# and XNA, Java, Objective-C or Flash (Xbox 360, Android, Mobile Phones, iPhone, Browser games, yadda yadda yadda) in your Indie lifestyle: C++ teaches you what you need.

C++ teaches you to be careful, to watch what you're doing, it lets your work at a low level and lets you know what is going on. For example, you may know Flash is slower with Vector graphics than with sprites and pixels (It's a LOT slower, you can have thousands of sprites at 60fps if you know how to push it, but that's damned impossible with Vectors), but if you know why you can apply that knowledge. Also employers have said they much prefer employees with the C++ knowledge much more than Java or any 'higher level' languages since those tend to be the adaptable employees who know what they're doing and why.

It's also much easier to 'jump down' from C++ to Java/C#/etc than it is to try and climb up from them to C++.

Main point of this topic was essentially to introduce that: "hey, we're here to help, and there ARE tools out there, just not under the name <insert thing> maker" :D.

TheDarkJay is right. Now if you do find C++ too complex, there's various ways you can entry into the language. The best route for your Windows-specific user would be to go about learning C#. (you can simply go and download Visual C#, it's a nice tool =) ) While you don't have to go the C# route, Java is always another way to go. It's cross-platform, is very similar to C#/C++, and yeah. In the end, like TheDarkJay said, you will find yourself having to need C++ at one point so learning it is viital. Though, after awhile of messing with C#/Java/(or maybe some other C-based language), you will consider C++ in due time.. it's only a matter of time, as a programmer. Like TheDarkJay said, "climbing up to C++" is creates more overhead and is harder. I am only pointing out how to go that route for those of you who REALLY want to go that way. Just know that it will take longer and more of a pain in the ass :P

How Maxk Gaem? Lol

but I think game maker I where you should start... Game maker will get you familar with the gamaking jargon without making you want to throw your computer out of the window. If you like then try a programming language. This is why. Game maker is fantastic but is limited by using a programming language your not. Game maker is a fantastic program, in fact this game is made (or at least was) with gamemaker. However Gamemaker is xtremely limited and you'll never be able to make an mmo with only game maker. This game incorperates c++, GML, and C#... I suggest you learn C# not C++ because it's supposed to be better idk maybe just listen to GM... After all, I am no programmer I just make the pretty things in games.

While that may be true, the GML side of it is being dropped whether we like it or not. Game Maker is a RAD tool made to teach you the concept of game development, not to produce games. Which is why it's fairly limited.

In the near future, I will try to see if Luke will let me introduce the GD-U Net Wiki to the BBS community. I have to rewrite the bridge so it supports talking to multiple forum softwares, so it can share user-account credidentials  site-wide.

http://wiki.gd-u.com/

At the current moment, only shares user accounts with www.forum.gd-u.com/ the mother site of GD-U. Hm. Reason why I'm mentioning this is because we have a fairly incomplete programming tutorial on there(which I am not sure HOW complete, don't expect it to be too fancy).

Now that we've got that out of the way, any questions?

I suggest you learn C# not C++ because it's supposed to be better idk

C# is safer. If you access beyond the boundaries of an array it throws an error, C++ keeps on trucking and just reads whatever garbage data is in the RAM. This however introduces some overhead into simply accessing arrays.

C# will stop you tripping over yourself so is considered more forgiving, but less efficient, whereas C++ just does what you tell it to do, regardless of outcome.

Like I said, you really need to awareness C++ instils in you, and not to let yourself get sucked into C# or Java's "don't worry, we'll hold your hand through this program" mentality =P Think of it like your mother, she may not like it but at the end of the day you have to leave home and make mistakes, and she won't be there to save you, and you have to learn to live with that and those mistakes, and it makes you a better person for it ^^

Even then, it's okay to go home to mother once in awhile =P

• 8 years later...