Apeiron's 3D models! (of doom?)

Wow, all of that looks really nice, Apei!

The hands are particularly nice. The last

one you made based on the picture is awesome,

but the water looks off compared to the

background for some reason. It doesn't

seem to connect in my head. . _ .'

it's not set to nighttime, or transparent in any way. hooray for laziness!

haha, im sure anybody that makes games would groan if they talked to me about character customization lol

thank god I don't make games then ;P

which reminds me. How the hell will I make a game if all I can do is model O.o

(I obviously don't think things through)

[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • 3 weeks later...

working on two things that each take one person all his time to do will just result with me not being good at either things.

expect a large update next time I post here, as it will show off my R2-style models (and hopefully an improvement from my current models, which as of late seems to just blend into each other @.@)

• 1 month later...

just a small preview of what will be eventually a large project.

mac anu has been hard, but the quality of it in comparison to my others is..uncomparible :P

here!:

macanuprev6.png

macanuprev5.png

macanuprev4.png

macanuprev2-1.png

macanuprev1-1.png

it was too big to put in one picture D:

anyway, expect more to come! -after probably another extended absence T.T-

That's improved a lot :o

and a lot of things thankfully contribute to that. namely more motivation. but then again, the motivation comes from the model itself O.o

You're getting really good at this! :o

thanks gm! I love to just go back in my photobucket and flip through my progress as a modeler.

i'm really glad I put it all there :P

sadly my models are still at ps2 quality, but at least i'm getting closer to late ps2 quality XP

Don't have anything new to preview yet. probably in a few weeks i'll have something to show ;D

that's all for now :P

(anyone else notice that i tend to use "that's all for now" or "more to come" at the end of my modeling posts? its not intentional...)

Edited by Apeiron

Not a bad idea... gonna have to give me time though. I have little internet time (am acually using my psp currently lol) and I will need to Bump Map the current 35 or so textures on my mac anu. Plus figure out Wings3d's damn shaders. And god knows how long it will take to finish the renders. But it needs some TLC anyway so meh. as for subdiving the model- to be frank... my god no. it has over 15,000 polys already. doubling numbers like that for the sake of detail is stupid.especially for mmo's

as for subdiving the model- to be frank... my god no. it has over 15,000 polys already. doubling numbers like that for the sake of detail is stupid.especially for mmo's

http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/uploaded_from_zbc/200307/user_image-1059270299uhg.gif

This says it all really. Just because you are using a large amount of polys in the modelling stage doesn't mean that it has to end up having that many polys when it's exported.

pretty sure displacement maps add polys. qoute me if i'm wrong though. In any case I don't need the extra geometry if i'm bump mapping the model anyway. (Wait, hold on... does wings even USE displacement maps? -_-)

Edited by Apeiron

pretty sure displacement maps add polys. qoute me if i'm wrong though. In any case I don't need the extra geometry if i'm bump mapping the model anyway. (Wait, hold on... does wings even USE displacement maps? -_-)

The amount of polys it adds depends on how large the displacement map is, most of the time it's negligible. The extra geometry is only needed if you were going to use something like displacement maps. Having 15,000 polys for that model is still quite a bit more than it should have, but most of the time it isn't going to be rendering that if it were in a game. There's tons of things devs do to make sure it only renders what needs to be rendered, LOD being the most common.

If you were importing this into a game engine, you could combine LOD and displacement maps by having it render different sized maps. Say a character in the distance could have a 256x256 displacement map. The engine could render this extremely quickly. As you moved closer you could change the map to 512x512. Seeing as the base mesh is in memory the only thing that would have to change is the map, meaning a really quick render too. Eventually you could go to 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 (I think those are the right sizes.)

• 3 months later...

okay guys, i've been absent. i was on hiatus for a while - had some important things to do irl.

in fact, i don't even want to post this now. i want to have something done first, but oh well.

more to come~

• 4 weeks later...